Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
How To: Installing Eliminator stripes (MrCJ)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: icon_loot How To: Installing Eliminator stripes (MrCJ) Reply with quote

MrCJ:

To set off the Cougars paint and body lines, A vinyl Decal kit is a must. It will really enhance the way you cat looks.
In this installation,I opted to let my friend whom ownes a Detail shop help me do the job. He had never installed a vinyl kit on a Cougar before, so he was where you would be doing this installation. Suprisingly, it goes on rather simple...looks hard but simple. There are some tricks of the trade I learned while helping him.
About a week before the installation, I took masking tape and taped the decals to my garage wall so they would flaten out and not be all curled up.
The decals used here was three part decals...there is a backing (adhisive side) the decal itself, then the a top paper tape.
First thing to do is wash the car.....after the car dries, take alcohol and wipe down the areas where the decals go. This will rid of all the WAX and dirt. Do this three or four times. Besure to keep your hands clean at all times.
Take the decal and place it where it goes to get a feel on how it will lay.

Next, take a flat tool (a credit card will do) and rub the decal on the side that you can see. This will help to release the decal on to the car.
Take One (1) TABLESPOON of dishwashing liquid and mix to One (1) GALLON of water. Dont guess here , just DO IT. Mix, and pour into a clean spray bottle.
Next, LIGHTLY spray the mix on the car....not too much...just a little misting will do. To much, and the decal wont adhere correctly.
Lay the decal on the hood and move it around and press LIGHTLY to get it seated.

Your eyes are your best friend here, trust them, the decal will look the way you lay it. Take your time here dont rush.

Of course, the side stripes are as long as the car is. You will need to tape the intire decal to the car so you can see where to make your cuts. Yes, cut the side stripes in sections. Make the cuts at each gap in the doors.

I took pics of cars with the decals on so the installer has a idea how they lay.
suprisingly, he didnt use any water on the side stripe install. It was easier with out it. He pulled the backing off the decal used his eyes and layed it down with the conture curves of the Cougar.
He centered on the wide stripe......when he cut the next (door) section, he used the wide part of the decal to line it up.....He cut the sections downe the MIDDLE of the door gaps to he had enough decal to trim off each gap....

Squegee the decal down, and carefully peel it back....if the smaller pin stripes get out of wack, you can reposition it.

The rear quarter panel was a little tricky.....remember to keep the wide part of the decal in line with the rest of the stripe you have already laid. since the quarter panel has a slight rise and bend in it...you will need to reposition the smaller stripes to make it look right.

It took the installer 1 1/2 hours to do the stripe install....it was really simple. You just have to take your time and dont panic if something gets out of line.
With vinyl decals, you will get some very small bubbles. Squegee them out the best you can. You can apply some heat, but the installer said its best to let the Sun do the work.

Park the car in full sun for a few days. The small bubbles will disappear.
The finished product:

I hope this will help...it really wasn't that bad...just have a friend to help you....and keep the decal moist until you are happy with the way it lays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> Tech Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: