Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations Rock Auto Discount codes West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
'Hidden' Fuses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:  'Hidden' Fuses Reply with quote

If you've ever looked for horn, taillight or courtesy light fuses and not found them, here's why:

The headlight switch has two breakers: One does the tail, courtesy, parking lights & horn, the second does the headlamps.

Here's the breaker ratings:
67-68 Mustang is 15A/12A (two headlamps)
67-68 Cougar is 15A/18A (four headlamps)
69-70 models (Mustang & Cougar) is 15A/18A.

I am not a fan of using higher rated switches to solve a problem. The Circuit Breaker is tripping for a reason.
If it's because it's old and worn, replacing it with an good original replacement switch will solve the problem.
If it's tripping due to load with all stock components (lamps) then clean each connection and check your wiring for shorts. Also check the dimmer switch on the floor - it is notorious for going bad.

If it's tripping due to load (halogen or other lamps), install relays with a separate breaker to handle the power requirements.

No matter the reason, installing relays is always a good idea.

Also - note that the Cougar switches have the vacuum actuator attached to it.

I believe the 67 & 68 Cougars have some inline fuses under the dash. Anyone know about those?
Jan Ove
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, there is a inline fuse for the brakelights, tucked up under the dash besides the ashtray

If the woman don't find you handsome, then at least they should find you handy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: