Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
What did you do to your Classic Cougar today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mo2872
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

351W, Edelbrock RPM AirGap, Holley carb, no spacer.

It hits. I puckered my good hood with the filter stud before it was even close to closing.
Jan Ove
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Ahh, okay, with a 351 it will be too high :)

I used modelling clay to determine the thickness of the spacer on mine, rolled it like a cigar, then placed around the aircleaner lid, and on the middle, put a dab of soap on the high end so it would not stick to the hood, closed the hood and went for a drive, to be sure i got real measurements
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mo2872
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Brilliant!
johnboy
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

all ok, ready for the trip "south".

small transmission leak seems to come from the pan. The mechanic showed me the overtightened pan where the cork gasket was squished out here and there.

I'll buy a kit, and take advantage to change oil, filter and new gasket later on. The leak is very minor, 1 foot stain over 7 months of hibernation.

a smaller coolant leak seems to come from the timing cover. That will just have to wait ($$$...)
johnboy
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: icon_note carpet Reply with quote

Over the last 3 days, removed interior and changed the carpet.
both rear inside panels were damaged. The driver's side was held by masking tape with large chunks missing. I will post pics on motortopia and link when i get back home.

this one was plastic welded and riveted to an aluminium sheet so it would fit the required curve.

As for the console, it had been seriously damaged by the last garage that worked on it. Rear 1/3rd was separated. Some plastic welding using plastic panels fron an old pc printer worked perfectly, but the console would crack somewhere else as soon as it was touched

It is now sitting correctly centered, but not screwed in. It is, however, steadier than it was.
johnboy
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

changed the transmission pan and filter this morning.

This should eliminate the leak from an overtightened pan, crushing the gasket.

Noticed the pinion leaking though. Will take care of that at the next oil change.
I have driven it for the last 2 wonderfully sunny days

Be advised I means the mechanic at the garage...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: