Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations Rock Auto Discount codes West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
Speedometer app

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: icon_note Speedometer app Reply with quote

I have been playing with speedometer gears and have been using my GPS to determine what the current correct speed is. Each time I have to remove the GPS from my DD, put it in the '69 somewhere where I can see it, run the power wire from the lighter socket in the console to it, blah-blah-blah.

Long story short: I have been UN-Googling my phone and came across an open source speedometer app. I tried it out today and it works awesome. Dead on with the GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.morkim.thunder.gps&hl=en

I also installed a GPS type app that stores the maps locally, does not require internet access to work. I installed the TX map and while it does not have all the bells & whistles of my GPS, I can put in an address, see the map, turn by turn instructions, DTT, ETA, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand
mo2872
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Nifty!
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Apps on the phone seem to work better since I cleaned out the Google shit.
Interestingly enough, it no longer connects to my wireless network each night for 2-3 minutes getting 'updates' - which is really uploads of my data to Google's servers.
mo2872
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

So.......how do you UN-google a fone?
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Basically find Open Source apps for the stuff you want and remove the Google apps.
https://www.xda-developers.com/setting-up-android-marshmallow-without-google/

I use F-Droid to get apps. Not as pretty as Google Play, but it keeps google from making money off me by selling my info.
https://f-droid.org/packages/6/
mo2872
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Ah.....those aren't the droids I'm looking for......

I'm on an iPhone(corporate slave, Jr. would call me....., I didn't buy it, wasn't my choice...).....
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Really what started this was Cheryl's new phone sending links to pictures in text messages instead of the picture.
The links went to Google Pictures or some such thing. Turns out Google now OWNS those pictures, can sell them, print them, use them in ads, etc.
When I tried to disable that I found I couldn't - camera storage is linked to it by Google! Remove it and camera stops working.
I was looking for an alternative to the Google camera when I found there was open source apps and ways to ungoogle the phone.

I got rid of the Google apps like Camera, Player, Chrome, Maps, Calendar, Docs Reader... and installed open apps.
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

mo2872 wrote:
Ah.....those aren't the droids I'm looking for......

I'm on an iPhone(corporate slave, Jr. would call me....., I didn't buy it, wasn't my choice...).....

I don't know about iPhone, I'm poor.
mo2872
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> The Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: